Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Monday, February 21, 2005

Welcome to my galaxy

Hey everyone! My brilliant husband just set me up with a blog because I've been dying for a way to easily share pictures and other bits of information. The tool - blogger.com - is free, easy to set up and use, and it's owned by google so it's sure to be wildly successful. I highly recommend it so far. Anyway, I'll be periodically posting on my blog, so check it out to see pics, get the latest entertainment news (movie/tv reviews and commentary) and hear how my new Total Body Makeover is going.

A little more on the makeover. If you caught Oprah last week (and who didn't?!) you saw the show, the guy that wrote the book - Bob Greene - and her makeover team. The four teammembers lost 88 pounds in 12 weeks. Of course the guy lost 30, and the poor women split up the rest. But still. It was inspiring enough for me to give it a try. I got the book and it's exercise-focused. So if you're looking primarily for diet info, don't look here. He really only gives you 5 or so guidelines: No alcohol, stop eating 3 hrs before bed or as oprah says just set a cut off time - for me 7:30, drink tons of water (shocking), have a good breakfast, eat consciously (no more mindless munching in front of Gilmore Girls) and this one's oprah's - no white stuff (white sugar, white flour, white rice).

Regarding the exercise, you have to do a LOT of it and at high intensity. You have to do 30 min of cardio 5 days a week at a 7-8 intensity (for me that's around a 145 heart rate), 60 min of cardio 1 day a week, 6 days of functional exercises (stretching, crunches that take a surprising 30 minutes), and 3 days of weight lifting. This morning I rode the bike at a 140 heart rate for 30 minutes. I'm used to a 124 heartrate, so it was much more difficult. But I also burned about 60 calories more than usual. I then did the stretches. At lunch or after work, I'll do the weights. Hopefully they won't take more than 30 minutes as I detest weightlifting! I will only lift weights on Mon, Wed and Fri. And you get one day of the week totally off (Sunday for me). Of course I forgot to weigh before starting, but I'll do that tomorrow morning and hopefully this blog will keep me honest. I'll let you know if it's a lot of hooey.

On a much sadder note, I was shocked last nite to learn that Hunter Thompson shot himself. He is a favorite of mine, my family and my friends. I got to hear him speak in boulder several years ago with cyd and thomas and tho we had to wait aeons for him to begin and fire extinguishers were involved, i'll always remember his heartening message of "We're Doomed!". As one deluded girl asked that night, "Hunter, where have all the good times gone?" I also had the pleasure of visiting Hunter's stomping ground, The Woody Creek Tavern, outside of Aspen with Creede. Altho hunter was not in attendance, it was (and still is) worth the visit. I have to say the timing of his suicide surprised me. Hunter seemed to get much enjoyment out of his friend, Johnny Depp's portrayal of him in Fear and Loathing. Johnny is once again reprising Hunter in the upcoming The Rum Diary (2005 release date per imdb). You'd have thought he'd want to stay around to see the spectacle. He and his antics and musings will definitely be missed.

Not a good wkend for celebreties (check out the eulogy to Sandra Dee on cbk's website, www.cbrookskurtz.com).

Aloha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home