Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

September Movies

Hey everyone, I've seen a few movies in the past few weeks, so here are some mini reviews:

Little Miss Sunshine - Easily my favorite movie of the year. Stellar cast, great story, at times hilarious and at others painful, this is one of those movies you don't want to end. A disparate group of people take a road trip to a beauty pageant. They have one thing in common - blood. LMS manages to show exactly why you need family and how sometimes life's messy situations are the ones that end up meaning the most. Steve Carrell proves he's not a one-dimensional player here, but he is just one part of the year's best ensemble.

Hollywoodland - Or Hollywoodbland as Creede called it after listening to me gripe about it. This movie was fine. That's it, fine. It tells the story of actor George Reeves' suspicious suicide. Ben Affleck plays Reeves and somehow came away with Best Actor honors at Venice. He was again, fine (something tells me playing an out of work actor looking to get a role isn't a huge stretch for him), but if this is the best acting of the year, I need to turn in my frequent movie watcher card now. I started looking at my watch after an hour. Unfortunately I had seventy minutes left to be bored. I've yet to see its evil twin, Black Dahlia, but despite its 37 on the Tomameter, my guess is it'll be more interesting at least.

The Illusionist - I've bragged before about the power of my suspension of disbelief, but in this movie it failed me. The Illusionist is gorgeous to look at and the music by Phillip Glass is the best I've heard in a movie in years, but I just couldn't buy 1) the tricks and 2) the mystery. If I were to see Ed Norton performing magic live on stage, I would be impressed. But since it was a movie, I just kept thinking all of his tricks were CGI. Then, the mystery. I won't go into it, but it's called The Illusionist for goodness sake! Performances by Norton, Paul Giamatti and Jessica Biel were all great. Rufus Sewell stole the movie for me though as the villian. He looks like he belongs in the period - turn of the 20th century Vienna - and his performance was divine as always. Good news for Biel is this should elevate her for good from an endless series of teen roles.

Boulder Bumpersticker of the Day: It's not all going to be okay.

-sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home