Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Oscar Picks

Hey Everyone! It's one day and counting to the Oscars, so I decided to post my picks and see how in tune with the academy I am. A caveat, these are the films I think should win, not necessarily those I think will win.

Best Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman - long overdue. He improves any movie he's in.

Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett - she could have bombed trying to play Kate Hepburn, but triumphed instead. I also loved Natalie Portman tho in Closer. She was amazingly beautiful, so beautiful she made Julia Roberts look plain in comparison. A sentimental choice here would be Virginia Madsen. I could live with that too.

Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio - I didn't know much about Howard Hughes before this film, but he convinced me that he was one amazing, but kind of crazy guy.

Best Actress: Annette Bening - Being Julia was a joy to watch, thanks to Bening. When I saw it in the theatre, the audience applauded at the end. Always a good thing. Women especially will love this film.

Best Director: Martin Scorcese - also long overdue. But this should be no pity oscar. It is much deserved for his ability to capture the details of the 30s and 40s.

Best Picture: The Aviator - yes, I'm looking for an Aviator sweep. I loved this movie - my favorite big movie of the year (my absolute fav was Before Sunset - catch it on dvd).

Best Animated Film: The Incredibles! I loved Shrek 2 as well, but The Incredibles was so much fun.

Best Screenplay (Adapted): Before Sunset - this one is easy for me. It's the only nom for my fav movie of the year. The writing was brilliant and was shared by the director, Linklater and the two leads, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. So smart, so bitter sweet. It was to me the most suspensful movie of the year. How Delpy is not up there with the best actress noms is beyond me.

Best Screenplay (Original): Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's hard to beat Charlie Kaufman for originality. Some of the look of this movie made me a little dizzy (enough with the handheld already!), but I adored the concept and the dialogue.

All the other techy type awards will likely go to Aviator - costumes, sets, etc. And most will be deserved, but the darkhorse, Lemony Snicket, is nominated for costumes and art direction and a win for it in these two categories would we be well deserved. The visual look was extremely creative. Thomas and I went with my cousin Dillon over Christmas and the three of us were blown away. Dillon's 11 and said it was the best movie he ever saw. It wasn't dumbed down at all.

I hope at least some of my favs win. If not, I'll be content with looking at all the dresses.

Feel free to post your picks in the Comments section. You don't have to log in or anything to post a comment - it's quite easy and I'd love to hear from you.


Aloha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home