Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Monday, August 22, 2005

Festivarians of the World Unite!

Lyons, Colorado's version of Woodstock came to town this weekend in the form of the annual Lyons Folks Festival. Cyd, Cari and Rhonda spent the entire weekend there - they even camped on site two nights - and I traveled up to meet them on Sunday. I've never seen such a large assembly of tie-dyed shirts, hula hoops, anti-Bush paraphenilia, tatoos and naked babies in one place. Cyd and I went to this festival several years ago and it has really grown since then. Just parking was a major production. You parked in one lot and then a bus dropped you off at the festival. There were lots of booths set up selling everything from incense to funnel cakes. I enjoyed one of the culinary highlights of my summer from the Oskar Blues booth: sweet corn on the cob grilled in the husk. That alone was worth the trip.

The musical acts that we caught were the Subdudes (or Subduds as we called them. We were a little bitter because their bus got stuck forcing us to wait for quite awhile in the parking lot), Todd Snider, and Kasey Chambers. I've never heard any of Snider's music before but he put on a great show. It was just him singing and playing the guitar and another guy playing the mandolin. His lyrics were great and he also had personality to spare, telling several anecdotes between songs. Our fav song of his was "My baby's mother was incarcerated". An instant classic! I also appreciated that Snider dedicated his set to Hunter S. Thompson, whose ashes were blown out of a cannon in Woody Creek, CO the day before (Johnny Depp paid almost two million on this extravaganza - read about all the details and other celebs who attended here.) As Hunter's wife Anita said, "He loved explosions." I would have loved to be there for many reasons.

I've liked Kasey Chambers of Australia for a few years now after listening to one of her cds. I got to hear my favorite song of hers, "The Captain", and then knew it was time to go. By this time it was getting dark and I figured the night couldn't get better than that. Plus a huge storm was rolling in. This meant that I missed the final performer of the evening, Arlo Guthrie. As everyone, including my brother told me, he would have been the act to catch. But I really don't think I've heard any of his songs - even the famous Alice's Restaurant. Maybe next time. We all had a great time catching up, listening to tunes, trying our best to figure out the origin of Snider (Oregon, surprisingly, but with several yrs spent in Texas), and annoying the people in front of us.

Earlier in the weekend, my parents were in town. We had a great time - eating out, shopping, and catching up. Thomas and my dad also did a lot of cigar-smoking on the deck, thanks to all the cigars Thomas brought home from Mexico. I'm not sure which of the two is the worst influence on the other. Saturday morning I took my parents to the Boulder Farmers' Market. They also had an arts and crafts fair going this weekend so there was much to see and tons of people there. Not sure if this has to do with school being back in session today or not, but Boulder and the Flatirons mall were both packed. Meanwhile Thomas headed up to Creede with Matt to meet Tom and check out Plan B. They spent Saturday driving the Alpine loop, but hopefully he'll write all about that in his blog. I talked to him yesterday after I got back from Lyons and found that they'd just finished hanging out with my parents and brother. Creede is in Creede for a few weeks before moving to Denver. We'll finally be living in the same town again - this hasn't happened since I was 17 so I'm really looking forward to it.

I have another blog to recommend - my friend Joe's. Joe was one of the founding members of the Prosperites and is an original thinker so you should check it out. He also has lots of good books and movie recommendations!

Lyons Bumpersticker of the Day: Proud to be a North American.

-sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home