Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Friday, May 20, 2005

Don't Judge a Book by its Movie

Hey Everyone! The title of this post is actually my Boulder Bumpersticker of the Day. It's one of my favorites yet and probably strikes a chord with anyone who's been terribly disappointed by the movie version of their favorite book. This seems particularly relevant because I just read on Ebert's site that the planned movie version of Confederacy of Dunces has been cancelled. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about this. After being told for many years by my mother to read John Kennedy Toole's book, I finally did about five years ago and was instantly captivated. It has since remained a fixture in my top 5 books (top 3, actually). I put off reading the book, because I tend to favor those that have happier material. You're very unlikely to catch me reading Grapes of Wrath anytime soon, for example. The first few lines of Confederacy is what caused my delay:

"A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the bushy black moustache and, at their corners, sank into little folds filled with disapproval and potato chip crumbs."

I read this and thought this guy, Ignatius J. Reilly, has to be a depressing character whom I have nothing in common with and no interest in reading about. Boy was I wrong. After reading the book, I now love those first few lines. Though I don't think I have too much actually in common with Ignatius, he strikes a chord somewhere in me. He's a member of my favorite category of fictional protagonists - the ones who passionately and obsessively follow an irrational cause - not a lost cause, a la Rhett Butler, but an irrational one. One that the viewer or reader knows is crazy, but that the character is too enamored with to see reason. Among this group you can find Ed Wood, Max Fischer, Don Quixote, and of course Ignatius. Anyway, tho I've never to my knowledge passionately pursued a perverse cause, I'm eternally intrigued by those that do.

So, back to the movie. Will Farrell was cast to play Ignatius. I'm not sure what to make of this. Both Thomas and I imagined Jack Black. In reading Ebert's column I saw that the struggle to make this book into a movie has been a long one (this is fitting as Toole never lived to see the book published - he committed suicide and then his mother cajoled Walker Percy into reading it and he championed it, resulting in a posthumous Pulitzer for Toole) . Back in the early 80's, a version was planned with John Belushi. This would have been intriguing to see. Farrell too, could be interesting. My fear is that they make it too broad of a comedy. Subtlety is definitely needed for this movie, tho Ignatius himself and many of the other characters are anything but subtle.

A few of my Top 5 Books later made into Movies:

* Biggest disappointment: The Fountainhead - the book was my most influential and should be credited for helping me survive engineering school, but the movie is just not for me. It was made in the late 40's and the melodramatic soundtrack drives me mad, not to mention the casting. Patricia Neal, a fav of Rand's, did not work as the mercurial Dominique.
* 2nd Biggest disappointment: I Capture the Castle - this book was recommended to me by my friend Anjali. I read it when Thomas and I went to Maui and it captured me just as much as any ocean view with its first line: "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." The movie so did not do the same. Cassandra and her father were completely miscast, tho Rose Byrne who played Cassandra's sister, Rose (and was also Brad Pitt's love interest in Troy) did a great job. Thomas has not read the book, but liked the movie. My advice to those who've seen the movie or not, READ THE BOOK. The magic was not in the movie.
* All time biggest success: Gone With the Wind. A theme on this site, I know. But the book is my fav book and the movie is my fav movie. I LOVE both. Casting of the movie was providential and I believe Selznick and crew did a wonderful job with the script. When Cyd and I took our GWTW tour in Atlanta tho, our guide Catfish fervently disagreed and felt the movie was a huge disservice to Ms. Mitchell. Guess there's no accounting for taste;).

On the opposite end of things, I liked the Lord of the Rings movies soooooo much more than I liked the books. Thomas and I read each of the books just before the release of the movies (I actually didn't read the 3rd one and he maintains that the 3rd book is much better than the 3rd movie), so maybe I read them too late in life. The books are filled with descriptive passages of the journey (much over the hill we go kind of thing) and my inability to visualize made the books periodically tedius for me. The movies so exceeded any vision I could have had of the people, creatures, events and places in the books.

I do plan on seeing the movie version of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I didn't actually read the book, but listened to it on tape as I drove from Oklahoma to Colorado one year - it's a great one to listen to on a long road trip as it's so funny you're constantly laughing and therefore staying awake. I loved the experience, and am willing to risk the movie. We discussed this with Eddie and Larissa tho, who are huge fans of the book and read it at a younger age and they're not willing to risk having their imaginations spoiled. I can definitely understand this. I just wish I had the strength of will to do the same.

I was informed by Cyd that a childhood fav is coming out this December - none other than The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. When I was a kid I was able to visualize and these books were cherished by my friends and me. The movie looks amazing as well and you can see a trailer here. Tilda Swinton as the White Witch is truly inspired casting. This gives me hope. If the movie meets expectations, I guess they're planning on following it up by the rest of the books in the series. Should definitely be a money maker.

Luckily we don't have to worry about any of this for bookless Revenge of the Sith. Don't know about you, but we're exercising patience and going to see it tomorrow as a matinee at Boulder's (and maybe Colorado's) largest screen - which luckily is a 5 minute walk away, so hopefully there'll be no long lines. I'll let you know what I think and give that cooking update.

-sunday

1 Comments:

  • So glad you read CONFEDERACY. . . I couldn't remember whether you did or not. Never doubt my recommendations, Sunday. Since I recommended two of your top three---and maybe all three---I have a good record. I didn't like I CAPTURE the CASTLE as much as you, but I did read it on your rec. Have you read A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING GENIUS? I bought it, and I can't get interested. Guess I'll try another good old McMurtry. I finished the Berrybender saga.
    Anyway, I enjoy your book reviews. I rarely see movies as you know. I loved your bumpersticker of the day. kk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/22/2005 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home