Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Battlestar's Back

Hey everyone! Thomas and I kicked off the weekend by heading over to Rich and Melissa's to watch the season premiere of Battlestar Gallactica. Yep, we were in full-on geek mode. Thomas is a fan of all things sci-fi and as ever, I am open to all forms of entertainment. From its initial mini-series, BG has exceeded expectations. It is so much more than sci-fi. It's to sci-fi as Deadwood is to the western. If you haven't seen either of these shows, just trust me. It's genre-bending. It also has a great cast and explores complex issues from religion to abortion to terrorism. Plus there are spaceships. What more could you want? That said, I was a little disappointed in the season 3 premiere. Part of the problem was that we kicked things off by watching the 10 webisodes of BG that were released on scifi.com to whet its viewers appetites over the hiatus. Each webisode was between 2 and 3 minutes. And they were all boring and pointless. The Office also did webisodes this summer. I haven't watched them yet, but hopefully they pulled it off better than BG.

The problem with the premiere itself is that it was two hours, rather than the standard one. This amount of time just wasn't called for. It prevented the show from being as tightly scripted as it could have been and resulted in me being a tad bored during the middle portion. It didn't help matters that one part of the crew is stuck on a planet that's being occupied by Cylons (robots) and the rest of the crew is floating about space trying to plan a rescue attempt. So this year instead of the crew all being on the battlestar kicking ass, a good chunk of them are instead living as civilians/insurgents on Cylon-occupied Caprica. This gave the writers leeway to make some ill-fitting parallels (humans = Iraqis, complete with suicide bombs and Cylons = USA). This was way too much of a stretch for me. On top of that it jolted me out of the storyline itself. This is happening all too often in tv and movies these days. If I wanted to hear about politics or Iraq, I'd watch the news. I seek entertainment and escapism in my shows, not to hear yet another screenwriter's take on What's Happening in the World. Maybe I'm alone in this, because it's happening more and more.

Don't get me wrong though. BG planted enough seeds and stirred enough interest that I'm sure it will pull off another great season.

-sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home