Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Day I Met Matthew McConaughey


Matthew McConaughey in Golden, CO on March 17, 2005

Hey Everyone and Happy St. Patrick's Day! i hope everyone is wearing green. st patty's day is one of my favorite holidays and this one has been especially good - more on that in a second. back when i was at ou, and one of the fortunate members of the engineering department, our engineering week always coincided with march 17, so it was a big deal. much green beer was consumed by all at o'connells and i believe pranks were played on our arch rivals the law students. i was not quite geeky enough to participate in said pranks or (thank God) to run for engineering queen (yes, there was such a thing believe it or not), but i enjoyed myself nonetheless. then when i was in the fort, they always had a great pub crawl on 3/17. but my fav st patty's day was spent in nyc with cyd. we snuck into st patrick's cathedral, watched the parade, and were amazed by all the policemen - in uniform - drinking in bars. it rocked! this has to be one of the best places in the world to spend 3/17 - i hear chicago and boston are pretty good too.

anyway, back to this year. i went home for lunch today to wait on a contractor - we're getting estimates for new countertops and cabinets. while there i happened to tourn on the local news. low and behold, who's being interviewed live but one of my top 5 fav male movie stars..........matthew mcconaughey. turns out he's driving around the country in an rv for six weeks promoting his new movie, sahara. it's james bondish and set to open 4/8/05. it also stars his extremely lucky girlfriend, penelope cruz. he's been in golden for a day and a half staying at the dakota ridge rv park in golden, co. he was getting ready to leave for los angeles after being interviewed. i hightailed it over there from boulder and after a couple of wrong turns found the place and amazingly he was still there. the only other people around were support staff and journalists. he was packing up to head out but i did get to meet him. i'm not gonna lie and say he asked me to star in his next movie or anything, but i did get to say hi. here are some pics i took with my phone! he is a very cool guy and you've gotta love his motto of "just keep livin'". it's also the name of his production company. this pretty much made my day and officially made me a member of the stalkerazzi (bryant gumbel would surely agree - see above trip to nyc with cyd).

today, i hope cyd is out there enjoying the green in nyc without me. in case anyone visits, her whole foods store in nyc officially opened today. it's in union square and i encourage you all to check it out. also, a late happy anniversary needs to go out to cyd and niels. they celebrated their two year anniverary on 3/13/05. they've been married exactly 51 weeks longer than me and thomas. congratulations, you crazy kids!

so pretty much the only thing that could make me happier now is if i could find my 2nd favorite button that reads World's Tallest Leprechaun. it must have gotten lost in the move. still - a very good day. my first favorite button? i got it in jr high and still have it: "Lead me to your takers".
boulder bumper sticker of the day: "Don't believe everything you think."

-sunday

1 Comments:

  • I love it! Who could have ever thought Sunday Kurtz was shy and retiring? Reminds me of your being in the movie Lena Sings the Blues, meeting Henry Kissinger and Spike Lee, etc, etc--I'm sure Cyd thought of you on St. Pat's Day too. Together you two were dangerous---I'm thinking Jazz Fest in New Orleans here. Sounds like your life continues to be one long adventure. I love it! kk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2005 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home