Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Thursday, September 29, 2005

2005 Emmys - The Good, The Bad and the Downright Scary

Hey everyone! Now that I went through all the winners and the losers (there was a little bit of happiness for me), on to the important stuff. Who made out and who made fools of themselves! Here are some observations:




  • Ellen Degeneres: I really like Ellen and think she did a good job. Her opening joke about how she always hosts the show after national tragedies (9/11 and now Hurricane Katrina) and that her next job would be emceeing North Korea's People's Choice Awards really made me laugh. She's just a little bit wacky, kind hearted, and she doesn't seem to take show business too seriously.
  • The Emmy Timekeeper: He kept appearing in a recurring bit, and though that got a bit old, I'm very grateful to him for keeping the show moving. It ended on time! When was the last time the Oscars did that?
  • The Emmy Director: When Lost won for Best Drama, the camera stayed focus on presenter, Hugh Jackmane. This was very annoying. Lost won in its first season - you know these people went nuts, and we didn't get to see their reaction.
  • The kid from Everybody Hates Chris: He came out with another kid who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. Both were so cute and self possessed. I hope it forced some of the Hollywood bigwigs to open their pockets.
  • David Letterman's Johnny Carson tribute: The classiest moment of the night. Letterman said how back in the day Carson was the idol of all the comics. Later John Stewart said that's how today's comics feel about Letterman. I wonder what Jay Leno is thinking right now?
  • I admit that I didn't watch the other tribute. I recorded the whole show and got thru it in 1 hr and 15 minutes thanks to moves like this.
  • John Stewart's tape of his reaction to Hurricane Katrina. And his acceptance speech for winning best tv talk show.
  • Are all directors of American tv shows British? It seems that all the winners were. Not sure how to account for this.
  • S. Epatha Merkerson's win for Best Actress in a TV Miniseries: I loved her speech. She said she dropped what she'd written down the front of her dress and was quite discombobulated and emotional. I've only see her as the dry Law and Order lady, so it was funny to see what a screwball she was in real life. She ties with Felicity Huffman for Best Speech given by a Girl.
  • Grey's Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo looked great. Like a young Diane Lane, but she really needs to work on her walk.
  • Best Dress Overall and Best Dressed in their 40s: Marcia Cross from Desperate Housewives. Even though she looks like a robot, she was gorgeously attired in a brilliant green gown that was timeless. Could have been worn 100 years ago and will still look fab 100 years from now.
  • Best Dressed in their 20s: Mischa Barton from The OC. She looked absolutely lovely.
  • Best Dressed in their 30s: Halle Berry. If you look like Halle, almost anything looks good on you, but she looked especially great in a brilliant blue floaty strapless number cut up to here.
  • Most Surprisingly Popular Color: OSU fans can rejoice because orange was a big hit at the Emmys this year. Mariska Hargitay and Eva Longoria pulled it off beautifully, but Portia d' Rossi kind of scared me.
  • Scariest: Terri Hatcher from Desperate Housewives. Hatcher used to be a beautiful woman but now she's the posterchild for od'ing on anorexia and plastic surgery. Her face scares me. And her dress didn't do that much for me either. I think all the other housewives trumped her.
  • Most Grown Up: Allison Hannigan, aka Willow from Buffy. She's always kind of freaked me out me in the past, but she looked great at the Emmys.
  • Most Bloated: Jennifer Garner. Her face looked really weird and swollen. I guess not everyone looks great pregnant. And why didn't Ben Affleck walk the red carpet with her?
  • Most Hated: Star Jones. At times like the preshow, it makes me realize how much I miss Joan and Melissa. Once again tho, Kathy Griffin saved it from being too painful by slamming all the celebs. BTW, I just heard she filed for divorce after 4 yrs AND Chad Michael Murray and Sofia Bush (both teen idols of One Tree Hill) did the same after 4 months.

Ok, that's it for my snarky comments. Hopefully, I'll be more prompt in disecting the next awards show. But even more hopefully maybe next yr, the voters will give some love to The Wire, Gilmore Girls, and Veronica Mars.

-sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home