Sunday's Guide to the Galaxy

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

2005 Emmys Recap

Hey everyone! The bad thing about having a blog is that it's supposed to be about what's happening RIGHT NOW. I've read blogs that people post on five seconds after something happens. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of discipline, so this entry is going to be quite pase. But I did go to all the trouble to watch the 2005 Emmys and even take a few notes, so typing them up seems the thing to do.

First off, the nominations. Bad, bad, bad. The number one show in all the land was ignored, except for one measly writing episode. That show would be The Wire. It's on dvd, so rent it and give it a try. Two pieces of advice: you must be focused when watching - you can't be playing with the dog or cooking dinner or reading a magazine - it requires (and rewards) 100%
of your attention. Also, you must watch with subtitles on. Otherwise you can't understand anything. This is well worth it as the dialogue is creative and brilliant and hilarious. A series of blog entries on The Wire is needed, but this is not the time. Basically, a tv critic noted that for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, the Emmy voters could have closed their eyes and thrown a dart at the entire Wire cast and the resulting target would have been worthy of the award. Instead, they went with mainstream choices - some good, some horrible.

The night started off with two disappointments: wins for Supporting Actors in a Comedy - Doris Roberts and Brad Garret for Everybody Loves Raymond. I've tried to watch this show and have never been able to last through one episode. It's just not for me. It was somewhat redeemed by Garret's speech - he is a very funny guy. But Roberts.......arrgh! Who says agism exists in Hollywood. If so, there's no way they would keep rewarding this woman. Who was robbed? Jeremy Piven of Entourage. I love that show primarily for him, and probably Jessica Walters of Arrested Development. I loved Season 1, but admit I didn't have time to watch Season 2. Though it is on my netflix queue.

Next up were the Supporting Actors in a Drama. Blythe Danner won for Huff (does anyone watch this show??), and William Shatner won for Boston Legal. Of those nominated, I would have gone for Sandra Oh of Grey's Anatomy, but my fav supporting actresses weren't even nominated (that'd be Emily from Gilmore Girls or any of the girls from Lost). I'm a fan of Boston Legal and Shatner's character is one of my dad's favs, but again, any guy from The Wire or from it's lessor Deadwood, would have been more deserving. Of those actually nominated, my vote would have gone for Locke on Lost. He is riveting.

Writing: Winners were Arrested Development for comedy (I can agree with this) and House for drama. Again The Wire should have won. And if it didn't win, Deadwood should have, but I actually love House, so I was happy. I also liked the winner's speech. He basically thanked his family for making him well-adjusted enough to be happy about the win, and thanked everyone else - you know who you are - for making his life miserable enough to write the character of House.

Best Actors, Comedy: Tony Schaloub won for Monk. I don't watch this, but his speech was funny. I would have given it to Zach Braff for Scrubs. Felicity Huffman won for Desperate Housewives. Sorry, but Lorelai Gilmore was so robbed (and she wasn't even nominated). Oddly enough, I'm not the hugest fan of Housewives. I watched it periodically last season, and haven't decided yet if I'll watch this season. I missed the premiere. I do believe Huffman is the best actress of the lot, and her speech was v sweet, so if any of them had to win, I'm glad it was her.

Best Actors, Drama: James Spader won for Boston Legal. Of those nominated, Ian McShane of Deadwood, especially was robbed. In the two seasons - season 1, especially - he's give a tour d'force performance as Al Swearengen. But Hugh Laurie of House was easily the second choice for this award. His biting sarcasm and pained wit make House a must watch show. This one angered me the most of the night. Patricia Arquette won for Medium. I've really liked her ever since True Romance, so I can't be too unhappy with this win but the rightful winner should have been Lorelai Gilmore or if not her, Veronica Mars. But of those nominated, I'm glad it was Arquette.

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers won three awards for Best Miniseries, directing, writing and acting, so I think I'll have to see it.

Best Comedy: The winner was Everybody Loves Raymond. I really couldn't believe it. I would have anything above this - probably Scrubs, then Arrested Development specifically, but why this show??? Thank God it's finally over.

Best Drama: Lost! Since The Wire wasn't nominated, this was my pick. I think they accomplished more than Deadwood this year, and Deadwood's the only nominee that could have come close to me. Lost is sooooooooo good and the first 5 minutes of last Wednesday's season premier (they're repeating tonite at 7 if you missed it) were enough to confirm my opinion that Lost is just amazing. I'm more anxious to know what happens on this show than any other show right now. You HAVE to watch it.

So the awards at least ended on a good note.

Next time: Best and worst moments and fashion.

-sunday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home